Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Devil in the White City


Last winter I read Erik Larson's "Devil in the White City", an historical account of the lead architect of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Daniel Burnham, and the grisly serial killer who worked unseen on the city's south side during the fair.

While I've visited the Museum of Science and Industry many times over the years and knew it was a building from the Exposition, I had never explored Jackson Park and the Osaka Japanese Gardens to the south of the museum. Nor had I heard of the Wooded Island or understand the vision behind their design by Frederick Olmstead.

Last summer I remedied my deficiency. Thank you to Erik Larson for bringing a time period from Chicago's history to life and for making me aware of hidden treasures in the Windy City.

No comments: