Friday, December 29, 2006

Marshall Fields and Christmas Memories


Holiday treks from Springfield, Illinois to Marshall Fields' State Street store were highlights of my childhood. Lunch with my family in the Walnut Room and the Christmas tree seemingly seven stories tall towering over us are precious memories. Toys of every shape and size and more than I had ever seen in one store amazed me.

When the news story broke in September 2006 that the name would be changed, I was surprised at the sadness I felt. While the landmark clock and Marshall Fields plaque remain on the building, the name on the chain of stores purchased by the Federated Department Stores was changed to Macy's.

This Christmas the Frango mints could still be found, the tree reigned again in the Walnut Room and the decorated store windows enchanted children as they had me so many years ago, but it wasn't the same.

No comments: